Skip to main content
1717 N Street NW, Suite 1, Washington, DC 20036 | (202) 403-0599
by Washington DC Registered Agent LLC


Do I need a Washington DC One Family Rental License?

Anyone who rents out a single-family home in Washington DC is required to have a Washington DC One Family Rental License. A single-family home includes dwellings such as: houses, townhouses, duplexes, individual condominium units, or individual rooms.

You must have a One Family Rental License for each location offered for rent.

If you are renting out an English basement apartment or a converted basement apartment, you must apply for a Two Family Rental License instead of a One Family Rental License.

If you are applying for a Two Family Rental License, you are required to provide Certificate of Occupancy information. One Family Rental License Applications DO NOT need to list Certificate of Occupancy information..


Do I need a registered agent for a Washington DC One Family Rental License?

Yes. You are required to list a registered agent on the application when you apply for a DC One Family Rental License.

Washington DC Registered Agent LLC specializes in registered agent service. We’re about keeping things low stress and providing registered agent service that is straightforward and convenient. We offer 365 days of registered agent service for $49.



How much does a DC One Family Rental License cost?

A two year license costs $198.00.
A four year license costs $291.50.


How do I get a One Family Rental License?

To get your DC One Family Rental License, complete the following steps:

  • Register your Business

    If you plan to operate as a legal business entity in Washington DC such as an LLC or corporation, you are required to register your business with the District of Columbia Department of Licensing and Consumer Protection (DLCP). If you want to form an LLC, check out our DC LLC formation page. If you want to incorporate, we have a free online guide for that too.

  • Obtain an EIN

    An Employer Identification Number (EIN) is a unique nine-digit number issued by the IRS. You are required to have this number if you are a registered business and are applying for an DC license. Obtaining an EIN can be completed entirely online at the IRS website.

  • Register with the Office of Tax and Revenue

    You are also required to register with the Washington DC Office of Tax and Revenue. One you complete this task, you will be provided with a unique registration number that you are required to provide on the Basic Business License.

  • File a Foreign Registration Statement

    If your business is not located in DC, you are required to file a Foreign Registration Statement with the DLCP.

  • Choose a Registered Agent

    All applicants are required to provide registered agent information when applying. A registered agent is a third party entity or individual who is elected to receive legal correspondence on behalf of the company. A registered agent is required to have a physical street address; not a PO box address.

    Washington DC Registered Agent LLC provides the best registered agent service in the District of Columbia. One full years. Only $49.

  • Complete and File a Basic Business License

    The One Family Rental License starts the same way most licenses in Washington DC start—as a Basic Business License. You can submit it entirely online. You are required to provide general business information, your EIN, your tax registration number, and your Certificate of Occupancy number.

  • Sign a Clean Hands Self-Certification

    The Clean Hands Self-Certification is a statement verified by your signature that you do not own the DC Government more than $100. This statement is included on the Basic Business License.

  • Schedule an Inspection

    After you submit your application, application materials, and fee, and it is approved, you must have the house for rent inspected by the Inspections and Compliance Administration.

    To schedule this inspection, contact the Inspections and Compliance Administration at (202) 442-9557 and selection “Option 6.” You can also submit a Basic Business License Rental Housing Inspection Request online.

    You must have the inspection completed with 45 days of the issuance of your One Family Rental License, otherwise your license may be revoked.

  • Complete a Basic Business License Inspection (Tenant) Consent Form

    You must provide a completed Basic Business License Inspections Consent Form signed by any tenants before the inspection can be completed.

  • Register with the Department of Housing and Community Development

    You must register with the Department of Housing and Community Development once your application is submitted. Registration costs $43.00 per unit. A PDF of the Rental Accommodation Registration Form is available online.

    The Department of Housing and Community Development is located at 1800 Martin Luther King, Jr. Avenue, SE, 2nd Floor, Washington, DC 20020.

  • Complete the One Family Dwelling Basic Business License Self-Certification Form

    A PDF of the One Family Dwelling Basic Business License Self-Certification Form is available for download online. This form states that you are aware of and understand the DC rules and regulations that apply to a One Family Rental. This document must be included in your application materials if you are applying via mail or in-person.

  • Pay the Proactive Inspections Fee

    In addition to the other fees associated with the One Family Rental license, you must also pay a $35 Proactive Inspections Fee.



How do I submit my application, application materials, and fee

You can submit your completed application, application materials, and fees by mail, in-person, or online.


To submit your materials via mail, send your completed application, application materials, and fees in the form of a check or money order (made out to, “DC Treasurer”) to:

Wells Fargo Bank
DC Government Wholesale Lockbox 91360
7175 Columbia Gateway Drive
Columbia, MD 21046

Applying by mail can take up to 30 days. It is a better idea to apply in-person or online.


To apply in-person, bring your completed application and application materials to the DLCP Business Licensing Center located at:

Department of Licensing & Consumer Protection
Corporations Division
Business License Center
1100 4th Street, SW
2nd Floor
Washington, DC 20024

You can pay required fees with a major credit card, check, money order, or cash.


The easiest way to submit your application is online through the DLCP Business Center website. You can pay the fees with a any major credit card and upload any necessary documentation as a PDF.


How do I renew my DC One Family Rental License?

You will receive a renewal notification postcard from the DLCP before your license expires. Instructions for renewal and related fees will be provided on the postcard. If you aspire to be a landlord in Washington DC, you’ll have to get the right licenses according to the DC rules and regulations.


How do I know Washington DC Registered Agent LLC is the best choice?

Here at Washington DC Registered Agent LLC, we take pride in our straightforward, easy-to-use service. We’re transparent about our services, our prices, and what it takes to get through the complex maze of DC regulations. We want your business to be successful and we’re going to do our best to make that process and your registered agent choice simple.