Skip to main content
1717 N Street NW, Suite 1, Washington, DC 20036 | (202) 403-0599
by Washington DC Registered Agent LLC


Do I need a Washington DC Home Occupation Permit?

If you are operating your business or profession in your home, whether full-time or part-time, you must have a Washington DC Home Occupation Permit.

Business activities or professions include, but are not limited to: general office use, computer programming, tutoring, sewing, and cosmetologists. Commercial food preparation is not covered by the Home Occupancy Permit.

If you are operating from your home in Washington DC, you are required to have the your HOP number before you can register with the DC Office of Tax and Revenue.


How much does a Washington DC HOP cost?

You must include a $36.30 non-refundable application fee when you submit your application. When it is approved, in order to get your license, you must also pay another $36.30 fee for it to be issued. This brings the total of fees to $72.60.


How do I get a Home Occupation Permit?

You can obtain a Home Occupation Permit Application from the DLCP website.

You can either submit an application and payment in-person or complete the process online when you complete your Washington DC Basic Business License online.

You cannot submit applications via mail. All applications received by mail will be returned.


What information is required on the Home Occupation Permit Application?

You are required to provide the following information on the Home Occupation Permit Application:

  • Applicant name and address
  • What kind of dwelling the premise is classified as (single family dwelling, apartment, etc.)
  • What type of business entity is operating from the premise
  • The purpose of the business
  • Total square footage of structure and the percentage of square feet used for business operation
  • Where business materials will be stored
  • What equipment is necessary for your business
  • Whether or not it is required that structural modifications be made for your business
  • If and how you plan to notify the public of the services available in your home
  • If you will be using chemicals in your business
  • If your business is a B&B or a daycare

If your applying as a legal business entity, you are required to provide copies of business documents including:

  • Articles of Incorporation
  • Listing of Corporate Officers
  • Letter of Good Standing



Do I need to renew my permit?

No. Once the permit is issued, it is valid unless there is a change in address or occupation.